Friday, March 23, 2007

Salary scale humour

Companies here normally hire temps and give them permanent contracts after a three-month probation. Last week the bank finally offered me a contract, after a delay caused by changes that emerged from higher up in the hierarchy (more on that later).

A few days after the offer was made, my manager and I met with our human resources liaison to discuss the terms of my contract. The HR staffer, an attractive young woman, took me through all the details involved. She told me that my salary scale was going to be set at level 6.9.

What? That's awesome!

I almost asked if I could keep this number even if I got a promotion, but I let the moment pass. The HR staffer went on to discuss pension contributions and holiday pay, but my attention span doesn't stretch that far so I just sat there thinking rather sheepishly how even though my actual salary sucked at least my rank was a number worth having.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but alas, would a rank of 7.0 not have been much more fulfilling? It seems to me that a 6.9 is a slap in the face of sorts. Just high enough not to be low, but yet still in the 6's--just over five (which we all now is mediocre.) I wonder if there are any 11s out there on the top floor?

green ghost said...

Oh dude you have no idea - this scale went to about 16 or something. I'm under no illusions of where I fall in this place - hence my joy in being able to find a tiny victory in an otherwise bleak circumstance.